PRMS Risk Management’s 2021 New Year’s Resolutions
It’s almost the start of a new year, and we can likely all agree that we are glad to say ‘goodbye’ to 2020 – a year that has, among so much else, upended healthcare, economies, and mental health. Not only has the pandemic changed the way you practice psychiatry, but it also created new risks. So as we begin a new year, our PRMS Risk Managers (or “Mayhem Managers” as they’ve become known) have a few key resolutions to consider in 2021.
Given these tumultuous times, we have reduced the number of resolutions this year. You may already be doing everything suggested below – if so, keep up the great work! And if not, you may find these resolutions useful to your practice – it’s never too late to start implementing!
- When treating patients remotely, I will check on licensure requirements in the state where the patient will be located at the time of the visit (if different from my state).
- Preliminary Analysis Chart to determine if state licensure is relevant
- Telepsychiatry Checklist
- Other telepsychiatry resources, including state waiver information, planning for post-pandemic practice, FAQs, and more at PRMS.com/faq
- I will be proactive and create a plan for the unlikely event of my sudden unavailability or inability to practice.
- I will continue to address cybersecurity to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of my patient’s health information.
- PRMS Cybersecurity Booklet
- Several practical resources in the Physician Cybersecurity Resources section on the AMA’s Cybersecurity Webpage
- I will consider using a suicide assessment tool when evaluating patients’ suicidality.
- I will check the relevant state’s Prescription Monitoring Program when prescribing controlled substances.
Great work in 2020, despite the challenges and pivots the year has thrown our way. PRMS continues to be proud of the work psychiatrists and our partners do for the behavioral healthcare community, and we wish you a safe 2021!
To learn more about the superior psychiatry-specific insurance program and comprehensive services offered by PRMS, click here.
Authored by PRMS.